Recovering from addiction requires strength and perseverance. When recovering from symptoms of heroin addiction, it’s important to know what to expect, so you’re well prepared for the journey ahead. Fortunately, the caring experts at Brightside Clinic serving the areas of Highland Park, Lake County and Northern Chicago, can provide the recovery support you need.
Heroin is a highly addictive opioid drug that has a profound effect on your brain and overall health. For that reason, heroin withdrawal consists of powerful physical and mental effects. While withdrawal symptoms vary from person to person, here’s what you might expect from your detox:
- Stomach Issues: Heroin withdrawal often leads to abdominal cramping and nausea. In more severe cases, vomiting and diarrhea may occur.
- Heart & Lung Trouble: Hypertension, rapid heart rate, and impaired breathing are among the more severe withdrawal symptoms.
- Temperature Fluctuations: You may experience rapid changes in body temperature leading to goose bumps, the chills, or sweating.
- Aches, Pains, & Spasms: Your muscles and bones may ache, which may also be accompanied by general fatigue or tremors. More severe symptoms may include muscle spasms.
- Anxiety & Depression: Heroin withdrawal can affect your mood and general mental health. You may experience symptoms of anxiety, depression, or an overall lack of sensation or pleasure. You may also become easily agitated.
- Sleep Trouble: Some individuals overcoming heroin addiction will also experience insomnia, restlessness, and difficulty concentrating.
These are just some of the symptoms of heroin addiction withdrawal, which typically last between five to 10 days in total. While these effects are often strong, it’s important to know they will not last. Never attempt addiction recovery alone—there are trusted medical facilities that can provide you the support you need to make it through as easily and painlessly as possible.
Based on your unique circumstances, the compassionate professionals at Brightside Clinic will customize your treatment to best set you up for health and happiness. To start your journey today by calling our clinic at (224) 215-0219. For more information, visit the center’s website and Facebook page.